It’s Back-To-School Season which could mean shoe shopping for your school age child. Here are some tips to help you find a proper fitting shoe for your child:
1. Children’s feet change with age so always have their feet measured before buying shoes.
2. Feet naturally swell during the day so it is best to try on new shoes after kids have been running around for a few hours.
3. Don’t choose a shoe based on the size marked on the shoe but rather by how the shoe fits the foot.
4. Most of us have one foot larger than the other. Buy the shoe that fits the larger foot.
5. Take your child shoe shopping with you and have them try on the shoe prior to buying. Every shoe fits differently so this will ensure a proper fit.
6. Don’t buy shoes that feel too tight and expect them to stretch to fit. The shoe should feel comfortable from the moment the child puts the shoe on.
7. When trying on the shoe make sure there is enough space (3/8″ to 1/2″) for the longest toe at the end of each shoe when the child is standing up. This is about the size of your thumb nail.
8. Have the child try on the shoes with socks or tights if that’s how they will be worn.
9. Select a shoe that is shaped like the child’s foot.
10. When trying on shoes, have your child not just stand and walk but also jump, dance and jog around so you can see how the shoe moves on the child’s foot.
Finding the proper fitting shoe is a must! Not only will your child be most comfortable but a proper fitting shoe can prevent further injuries down the line.
Don’t forget to PROTECT your FEET at the Beach! The skin on your feet is susceptible to skin cancer so apply sunscreen to the tops & bottoms of your feet. Also hot sand can burn the bottom of your feet so wear shoes to protect them.